A few tips on lamps:
- Place several lamps on the different surfaces around your room. The ambient light from a lamp is much more flattering to your room than overhead lighting.
- Use lamps as a style statement as well as for functional purposes.
- When you have lamps that plug into an outlet that is controlled by a wall switch, replace your wall switch with a dimmer. This is a quick and inexpensive change that will allow you to adjust the lighting in your room to suit an array of different purposes.
- Don't be afraid of large lamps! You want a lamp to feel like it fits in your room, not that it was put there as an afterthought. A large piece of furniture, especially, needs a decent sized lamp.
- Wall mounted sconces and swing arm lamps are solutions for some spaces, but be sure the scale is right. When used in an application where a table lamp or floor lamp can fit, a wall sconce, or swing arm can look diminutive.
- Changing a shade is an easy way to make a lamp look more expensive. You can find a good quality shade at a specialty store, or even Target has some nice looking options that can dress up a less expensive base.
- Another way to dress up your inexpensive lamp base is to change the finial. These can be purchased at specialty lamp stores or online. Try these at Lamps Plus
- When selecting a lamp for a table next to a chair or sofa, be sure the height is such that the bottom of the shade is at or above the eyelevel of a person sitting in that seat.